Oily skin is both a blessing and a curse. Men with oily skin age better and generally have good skin. This is particularly true if the skin is taken care of. Neglecting this important organ could lead to accumulation of dirt, acne, or dull skin. The good news is that taking care of such skin is quite easy. If you diligently follow the steps below, you will greatly improve the condition of your skin.
Cleanse your face twice, everyday. Although this seems like a lot of work, doing so will go a long way towards improving the condition of your skin. When purchasing a cleanser, make sure that you choose one that has been specifically made for oily skin. If you have acne or excess oil, use a medicated cleanser that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. These ingredients will quickly clear clogged pores and reduce bacterial growth.
A gel cleanser should be easier to use. Wet your face with warm water and gently rub a pea-sized amount of cleanser all over your face. A little amount should be enough to remove excess oil on the skin. Then rinse your face and pat it dry with a towel.
Toning is the second step of an ideal beauty regimen for oily skin. Using an astringent, which is a toner designed for oily skin, will transform how your skin looks and feels. Toning removes any dirt that might have remained on the skin after cleansing. It also provides the skin with antioxidants and soothing agents that lead to a smooth appearance. The following are additional benefits of using an astringent after cleansing your face:
- Refines the pores: An astringent tightens skin pores resulting in a smoother, healthier looking skin. This is important for people with oily skin because they typically have larger pores than their counterparts with normal or dry skin.
- Treats acne: Astringent is popularly used to treat skin with acne. Simply put a little on a cotton wool ball and gently use it to rub your face. Within no time, your acne will have cleared. You should, however, not over do it. If your skin feels dry after toning, try using the astringent on alternate days.
- Refreshes the skin: It will refresh oily skin on a hot day, reduce shine, and give your skin a glow.
Although you have an oily skin type, it still needs moisturizing. Choose a light, oil-free moisturizer with at least SPF 15 to protect your skin without clogging it. Apply the moisturizer after toning and drying your skin. Use it sparingly over oily areas to balance out the appearance and texture of your skin. Apply very little on your forehead, nose, and chin which have more oil than the rest of your face. This will lead to healthier skin that will stay young for a long time.
It is important to exfoliate your skin at least twice a week. After cleansing and toning your face, scrub your face to clean out your pores and accumulated dirt. Purchase an exfoliating scrub with finer beads to avoid irritating your skin. To use it, gently splash warm water over your face and rub the scrub on your skin. Then rinse and gently pat it dry before applying moisturizer. Also, remember:
- Purchase a face scrub formulated for use on an oily skin.
- Do not scrub too hard as this will cause pain and ultimately premature aging.
- Using a scrub more than twice a week will dry out your skin.
Apply face mask every week
A clay mask absorbs oil and tightens the skin. Using bentonite clay mask bi-weekly will drastically improve the condition of your skin. The mask contains powerful minerals and produces a negative charge when liquid is added to it, aiding in the removal of toxins. Most of the clay is bought as a dry powder. When liquid is added, it transforms into a powerful oil absorbing mask.
If you have blackheads, it is a good idea to use this clay mask. It treats acne, unclogs pores, and reduces the appearance of scars. Immediately after using a clay mask, you should feel the difference. This is how to apply it:
- Mix bentonite clay powder with water or apple cider vinegar until it forms a paste that can easily spread on your skin. If you don’t want to clean up afterward, do all the mixing and applying in the shower.
- Use your finger to apply the mask on the face, neck, and upper chest.
- Keep the mask on for 30 minutes then rinse it off only using water.
What you consume is equally important
What you put into your body affects your skin. Drinking a lot of water will keep the skin hydrated, and give it a youthful appearance. If you take alcohol, drink lots of water in between drinks to avoid dehydration. You should also consider quitting smoking cigarettes, your skin will thank you for it.
To keep your skin glowing, eat a lot of vegetables and fruits. It’s quite easy to do; simply get a juicer and look up delicious recipes that will encourage you to consume the drinks. If you suffer from acne, limit the amount fried foods and junk which tend to worsen the condition. If you put as much effort into improving your eating habits as you do in taking care of your skin, you will have healthier and more attractive skin.
Men also need to take care of their skin. This is particularly vital if you have an oily skin which is prone to a lot of problems. In addition to your daily and weekly regimen, occasionally visit the spa for a facial. If the acne does not clear, see a dermatologist. The specialists will examine you and run tests to find out of there is any underlying cause for the excess oil in your skin. If there is a medical reason for the condition, they will give you some medication to clear it up.